Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Golf Course Industry Show

The Golf Industry Show happens once a year.  It rotates between three cities. New Orleans, San Diego and Orlando.  The Show consists of continuing education classes that help superintendents, assistants and in some cases greens chairmen keep abreast on new technology and way to better manage your golf course.  I have been lucky enough to go to the Show for the past 7 years as a golfcourse superintendent and I went once as a student from Oregon State. 

I have always made it a point to fit in as much education as possible.  I use the day of the trade show to not only get an idea of the new equipment available, but meet as many people as I can.  Networking as everyone knows can be a great way to get new ideas or brainstorm about current issues at your course.

I am a guest speaker for the innovative superintendent session for the work that we have done to save water over the past three years. The bulk of our water management savings came the first season I was here when we adjusted many heads and did massive re-programing of the central control computer to be more accurate in water application.

Last year I was a guest speaker for the same session.  I spoke on the creation of our IPM program and the usage of growing degree days to predict and anticipate insect developement.  There are not many courses in the nation that use this type of method when controlling pests.  Over the last three years we have had great success with the program.

Next week the GCSAA Conference and Show will be held in San Diego.  After the trip I will make sure to write an update on what I learned in San Diego.  My goal is to save even more water this year by using new techniques learned by this trip.

If anyone would like to learn more about the GCSAA Show or just have comments please feel free to contact me.

Justin Ruiz, CGCS
justinr@therimgolfclub.org

0 comments:

The Rim Golf Club is a Great Place to Live and Play.

GCSAA TV Video Contest Entry

Total Pageviews

Followers